Australia Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL) identifies 17 occupations that fill critical skills needs that support Australia’s economic recovery from COVID-19 based on expert advice from the National Skills Commission and consultation with Commonwealth departments.
Employer-sponsored nomination and visa applications with an occupation on the PMSOL will be given priority processing. All other skilled occupation lists will remain active, but the PMSOL occupations will take priority.
The list is temporary and priority occupations may change as Australia recovers from the pandemic. The Government and the National Skills Commission will continue to monitor the impact of COVID-19 on the Australian labor market and assess Australia’s skills needs as they evolve and new sources of data emerge.
Acting Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services, and Multicultural Affairs Alan Tudge said the changes would strike the right balance for Australia’s economic recovery.
“These occupations in the health care, construction, and IT sectors will supercharge both our health and economic response to COVID-19.
“Visa holders, who have been sponsored by an Australia business in a PMSOL occupation can request an exemption from Australia’s travel restrictions, but will be subject to a strict 14 days quarantine on arrival at their own expense.”
Minister for Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business, Senator the Hon Michaelia Cash said the PMSOL would be complemented by strengthened labor market testing requirements.
“In addition to the current requirements of two national advertisements, employers must also advertise their vacancy on the Government’s jobactive wesbite,” Minister Cash said.
Existing skilled migration occupation lists will remain active and visas will still be processed, but priority will be given to those in occupations on the PMSOL.
Australia Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List
The 17 occupations (ANZSCO code) are:
- Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
- Construction Project Manager (133111)
- Mechanical Engineer (233512)
- General Practitioner (253111)
- Resident Medical Officer (253112)
- Psychiatrist (253411)
- Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
- Midwife (254111)
- Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
- Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
- Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
- Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
- Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
- Registered Nurses nec (254499)
- Developer Programmer (261312)
- Software Engineer (261313)
- Maintenance Planner (312911)
Priority processing of nomination and visa applications for PMSOL occupations applies to these employer sponsored visa subclasses: